Saturday, December 29, 2007

Top 5 Things to Look Forward to in 2008

Dan's Top 5:

1. Bush's Final Year - I don't care if we collectively decide to elect a seedless Chia Head of Richard Nixon next November. I can't see how even the worst (and there are some pretty bad choices in the primaries) of potential candidates could be anywhere close to the atrocity that has been the George W. Bush administration. I echo the sentiments of David Cross, who claimed that he may go down as the worst American President ever.

2. The Summer Olympics - Sure, it's in China, but who gives a shit? (Other than Communist-fearing Republicans) This is the Olympics, and it gives us all a chance to be distracted and actually proud of our country for a few weeks. It also gives me a chance to listen to Bob Costas (winner of the Not Joe Buck award) for some decent commentary and enjoy a free four-hour concert in the form of the opening ceremonies.

3. Fantasy Baseball - This needs no explanation. The only reason it isn't any higher is because it's an annual occurrence.

4. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Reported release date is next summer, and you're going to have to go see it. You have no choice. Either you want to see a fourth awesome movie from the Indiana Jones series, or you want to see who you should blame for making the two-decade effort fall flat on it's face. I have no idea how the movie will be, but it's probably going to be either extremely awesome or extremely poor.

5. The Last Game at Yankee Stadium - There will undoubtedly be a lot of talk about how the final Yankee Stadium game will be the end of an era. While the Yankees of yesteryear might not have been pure evil (I'm not entirely up to date on my baseball history...) the new Yankee Stadium will doubtlessly be tainted with the spirit of the Evil One from day one. Here's to you, Yankee Stadium, and those fabled players of old of whom it is said it's possible not to hate them.

Ryan's Top Five

1. The NFL Draft - How will Carl Petersen fuck this one up? Does Ryan Sims have a younger brother? I don't know, but we have a very high draft pick (as we fucking blow), so I am, of course, intrigued.

2. KC Royals Improbable World Series - KU football wins Orange Bowl, anything on God's Green Earth can happen.

3. KU Basketball National Championship - I still argue that jinxing things is bullshit. Why? I've intentionally NOT jinxed things for most of my life, and what has it gotten me? That FSU Championship in 1993 and nothing else.

4. Fantasy Baseball - Dan said it all.

5. Ryan Fox Fantasy Football Championship Repeat - Damn straight, homey.

Tim's Top 5
Note: I'm posting this in June of 2008.

1. Its inevitable end. - God, this year has been awful.

2. Phillies playoff tickets - Oh man, I really need to do that again this year. I really enjoy playoffs, and it's clear the Indians are screwed.

3. The Indians trading C.C. Sabathia for magic beans - We all know it will happen, I just want to know if we get anything in return.

4. The Bengals falling into the first pick in the 2009 draft. - Welcome back, Bengals.

5. Josh Hamilton winning a triple crown - I'm pulling for him.

Honorable mention: Hopefully economic recovery of some sort. Some of us pay our bills...doesn't that do something?

No comments: