Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Top 5 Edible Animals

Dan's Top 5:

1. Cattle - The way I figure, ground beef is a staple of Americana, and apart from all that juicy hamburger, there's sweet, luscious steak, and various roast cuts. Now, I don't know if I'm allowed to also credit the cow for milk and dairy products, since you don't have to actually eat the cow itself. Yet, beef itself is strong enough to warrant a #1.

2. Chicken - I put chicken here really because it's the most versatile meat I know of. Name me any type of cuisine and I can probably find you a dish in that style that features chicken. If not, then that cuisine probably sucks, because chicken rules.

3. Bison - Before I get too far away from the cow, I want to make sure I give some love to the Bison (namely, love in the form of killing it and eating its flesh). I've had a "buffalo burger" once or twice, and it's really fucking good. Probably the best burger I've ever tasted.

4. Turkey - Thanksgiving is probably the one reason this bird gets killed and eaten so much. As most people know, Ben Franklin wanted to designate the turkey as the national bird. It's also in some ways the mascot of my very own university. This only furthers the respect and thanks that I show towards it as I eat some more white meat.

5. Fish - I prefer a white, flaky fish like cod, haddock, or flounder. Fish and chips is probably the greatest "fast food" ever, especially when I got it in Britain and the serving was huge. Here's a tip - get it served with salt and vinegar. It's more for the potatoes, but it's not bad on the fish.

Tim's Top 5:
1) Chicken - I hate chickens. Hate hate hate hate them as animals and have been deathly afraid of them since I was growing up and spent summers at the farm to discover chickens being slaughtered, see them running around headless, only to find chicken heads strewn about the sand for days afterward. From those days on, I have always enjoyed chicken, particularly good fried chicken (I've never eaten collard greens, Fuzzy Zoeller fans), and am eating chicken toward extinction.

2) Beef - I really eschew beef since it does wonders to make me violently ill in a digestive sort of way, but it's the best flavored of all meats.

3) Turkey - Ground turkey had been my beef for three years and it never mattered since I was only making tacos and chili. Unfortunately, when I moved down here, I couldn't get good ground turkey anymore, so I had to buy the 93% lean beef, which has the downsides of being beef (I like cows, don't give a crap about turkeys) and being expensive.

4) Salmon - Not all fish are the same. I rarely eat non-salmon fish, usually only in a circumstance where I haven't actually been told what the fish is (i.e. fish tacos).

5) Deer - Venison is good, but I won't eat it because it's made of deer.

Tory's Top 5:
1) Cow - There is nothing better than a burger.

2) Pig - How has this been so unrepresented on here? Bacon is the pinnacle of a pairing food: Bacon and eggs, bacon cheese burger, bacon-wrapped ::insert food:: This should sum it up:

"What about bacon?"
"No."
"Ham?"
"No."
"Pork chops?"
"Dad, those all come from the same animal."
"Yeah right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal."

3) Vension - Delicious. I've only had it once, but I remember the one I had was juicier than any steak I'd ever had. It was so delicious.

4) Lamb - This is the taste that never ends.

5) Chicken - Chicken is good, but it's at number five because chicken can also be really really boring.

Ryan's Top Five

I'll make this'n quick as I'm hungry...

1. Cow - It's what's for dinner.

2. Chicken - Healthier. But not good in lasagna, so beef wins out.

3. Pig - Sausage is a gift from the Lord.

4. Turkey - I would also have accepted tofurkey. No, I just like saying tofurkey. TOFURKEY TOFURKEY TOFURKEY!

5. Lamb chop - Was I the only kid who wanted to eat that singing sock puppet? I was? Oh, whoops...forget I said this...

No comments: