Friday, August 3, 2007

Top 5 Opening Lines of Songs

This is a pretty good idea I had, but after I had posted in the August 1st update, so I figured I should make my list before I forget it. Basically, I'm not going to bother explaining why I like the first lines, as I'm sure everyone reading this has a basic appreciation for lyrics. Instead, I'll just recite them for you.

Dan's Top 5:

1. Warren Zevon - Werewolves of London - "I saw a werewolf with a Chinese menu in his hand walking through the streets of Soho in the rain; He was looking for the place called Lee Ho Fook's, gonna get a big dish of beef chow mein."

2. Paul Simon - Kodachrome - "When I think back on all the crap I learned in high school, it's a wonder I can think at all."

3. The Beatles - I Am The Walrus - "I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together."

4. The Killers - Jenny Was a Friend of Mine - "We took a walk that night but it wasn't the same, we had a fight on the promenade out in the rain."

5. Muse - Knights of Cydonia - "Come ride with me, through the veins of history."

Ryan's Top Five

Only one note: I Am The Walrus is deservedly in the #1-2 spot, but I'll exclude it for the interest of originality.

1. David Bowie - Rock 'n Roll Suicide - "Time takes a cigarette, puts it in your mouth, pulls on your finger, then another finger, then the cigarette..."

2. The Beatles - A Day In The Life - "I read the news today oh boy / About a lucky man who made the grade / And though the news was rather sad / Well I just had to laugh"

3. Harry Nilsson - 1941 - "Well in nineteen-forty-one the happy father had a son / And by nineteen-forty-four the father walks right out the door"

4. Badly Drawn Boy - Four Leaf Clover - [incidentally, maybe my favorite lyric ever] - "Go on, do what you've got to do / You've got your dreams I've got mine too / Be strong, get off at the next stop / Don't worry about a thing / Keep taking it easy"

5. Cake - Frank Sinatra - "We know of an ancient radiation that haunts dismembered constellations / A faintly glimmering radio station."

Tory's Top 5:

This is definitely one of the hardest list.

1. Tenacious D - City Hall - "All you people up there in City Hall, you're fuckin' it up for the people that's in the streets."

2. Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet with Butterfly Wings - "The world is a vampire, sent to drain."

3. Mars Volta - Take the Veil - "You must've been phlegmatic in stature, the gates of Thanos are spread eagle wide."

4. Bright Eyes - An Attempt to Tip the Scales - "Did you expect it all to change, with the wave of your hand, like the sun's just gonna drop, if it's night you demand."

5. Tool - Aenema - "Some say the end is near, some say we'll see Armageddon soon."

Tim's Top 5:
First, let me preface this by saying I think it's an utter fool's errand...too impossible to actually research, so I'm doing that off the cuff, which makes me remember ... very little. I could identify my favorite lyrics of most songs, but I can't do it based on their position in a song in comparison to all songs.

1. Jay-Z - Lucifer - "[Sample] Lucifer, dawn of the morning! I'm gonna, chase you out of Earth Lucifer Lucifer, dawn of the morning.../ [Jay-Z] I'm from the murder capital, where we murder for capital"

2. Kanye West - We Don't care - "And all my people that's drug dealing just to get by / stack ya money till it gets sky high /
We wasnt supposed to make it past 25 / but the jokes on you we still alive/
Throw your hands up in the sky and say / we don't care what people say"


3. Dead Kennedys - Let's Lynch the Landlord - "The landlord's here to visit / they're blasting disco down below / he says "I'm doubling the rent / because the building's condemned" / you're gonna help me fight city hall."

4. The Old 97's - Jagged - "What remains of the day / remains to be seen / by the TV that we never turn on. / Each other's enough / I've never had it so rough / ever since I've been gone"

5. Guided by Voices - I Am A Scientist - "I am a scientist / I seek to understand me
All of my impurities and evils yet unknown / I am a journalist - I write to you to show you / I am an incurable / And nothing else behaves like me


The Beatles - The Ballad of John and Yoko; Marvin Gaye - What's Going On; Old 97's - W-I-F-E; Fountains of Wayne - Hung Up On You; Dead Kennedys - Kill the Poor; The Clash - London Calling

No comments: